“WHAT’S SO GOOD ABOUT THE GOOD NEWS? – Pt. 4”
[THE SPIRIT OF STUPID – Romans 1:18-32]
INTRO: Why do reasonably smart people often reject God and His standards as clearly revealed in the Bible?
I. The Need For The Good News – All Are Guilty (1:18–21).
- God’s righteousness (v. 17) must be satisfied by bringing justice where unrighteousness (injustice) exists (v. 18).
- Unrighteousness (sinful behavior) is the result of suppressing the truth (v. 18b).
- There are consequences for sinful behavior (Gal. 6:7-8)!
- God has revealed Himself to all mankind (vv. 19-20).
- God’s creation reveals His attributes (v. 20).
- People who don’t acknowledge God suppress the truth and as a result they don’t think [morally] straight – they’re given over to the spirit of stupid (v. 21)!
II. The 3 Foolish Exchanges & God’s Oblige (vv. 22-32).
*When people don’t honor God, they tend to do dishonorable things.
- 1st Exchange: God Worship for Idol Worship (vv. 22-23).
- In thinking they’re smart, they actually become foolish (v. 22).
- God obliges (gives them up to) (v. 24; Eph. 4:19).
- God withdraws conviction, revelation and protection!
- 2nd Exchange: Truth for a Lie (v. 25) & God obliges (v. 26).
- 3rd Exchange: Natural Heterosexual Relations for Unnatural Homosexual Relations (vv. 26b-27).
- God obliges (vv. 28-31; Rom. 8:7; Isa. 5:20).
III. Inappropriate Attitudes & Behaviors (vv. 29-32).
- Unrighteousness, sexual immorality of all types, evil, hard to get along with, weak character and pride.
- Summary: Those who practice behaviors are deserving of death (but are given time to repent), which is why we desperately need the good news (v. 32)!
CONCLUSION: When people don’t let God be god in their life (when they suppress the truth that God has revealed), they’re given over to the spirit of stupid!